Research Interests &
My research interests are broadly in the areas of visible light communication, pervasive computing, wireless networks and cyber physical systems. Whitin these areas, I am particularly interested in research problems that are amenable to both, simple mathematical analysis and system evaluation.
I obtained my PhD and MSc in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California, and my BSc in Electronics Engineering from the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. Before my appointment at TU Delft, I was a member of the research staff at Xerox Research Labs; an IRCSET fellow at the National University of Ireland, Galway; and a senior researcher at the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany.
Recent Selected Publications
My full publication list is available here
- Q. Wang, M. Zuniga, D. Giustiniano, "Passive Communication with Ambient Light", [pdf], ACM CoNEXT 2016. Best Paper Runner Up.
- M. Cattani, A. Loukas, M. Zimmerling, M. Zuniga, K. Langendoen, "Staffetta: Smart Duty-Cycling for Opportunistic Data Collection", [pdf], ACM SENSYS 2016.
- L. Klaver, M. Zuniga, "Shine: A Step Towards Distributed Multi-Hop Visible Light Communication", [pdf], IEEE MASS 2015. Schematics and firmware available [here]. Best Paper Award.
- A. Loukas, M. Cattani, M. Zuniga, J. Gao, "Graph Scale-Space Theory for Distributed Peak and Pit Identification", [pdf], ACM/IEEE IPSN 2015.
- N. Brouwers, M. Zuniga, K. Langendoen, "NEAT: A Novel Energy Analysis Toolkitfor Free-Roaming Smartphones", [pdf], ACM SENSYS 2014.
- A. Loukas, M. Zuniga, I. Protonotarios and J. Gao, "How to identify global trends from local decisions? Spatial Event Detection on Mobile Networks", [pdf], IEEE INFOCOM 2014.
- M. Cattani, M. Zuniga, A. Loukas and K. Langendoen, "Lightweight Neighborhood Cardinality Estimation in Dynamic Wireless Networks", [pdf], ACM/IEEE IPSN 2014 (IP track). Best Paper Runner Up.
- C. Boano, M. Zuniga, J. Brown, U. Roedig, C. Keppitiyagama, and K. Roemer, "TempLab: A Testbed Infrastructure to Study the Impact of Temperature on Wireless Sensor Networks", [pdf], ACM/IEEE IPSN 2014 (SPOTS track).
- N. Brouwers, M. Zuniga and K. Langendoen, "Incremental Wi-Fi Scanning for Energy-Efficient Localization", [pdf], IEEE PERCOM 2014.
- A. Loukas, M. Zuniga, M. Woehrle, M. Cattani and K. Langendoen, "Think Globally, Act Locally: On the Reshaping of Information Landscapes", [pdf], ACM/IEEE IPSN 2013.
- C. Boano, M. Zuniga, K. Roemer and T. Voigt, "JAG: Reliable and Predictable Wireless Agreement under External Radio Interference", [pdf], IEEE RTSS 2012.
- D. Puccinelli, M. Zuniga, S. Giordano and P. Marron, "Broadcast-Free Collection Protocol", [pdf], ACM SENSYS 2012.
- S. Wagner, M. Handte, M. Zuniga and P. Marron, "Optimal Tag Placement for Indoor Localization", [pdf], IEEE PERCOM 2012.
I am involved in the Technical Programm Committes of various venues, including:
- ACM/IEEE IPSN (2017, 2016, 2015, 2013)
- IEEE PERCOM (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014)
- IEEE INFOCOM (2017, 2016)
- ACM SENSYS (2016)
- ACM VLCS (2016)
- MadCom (2016: General chair)
- IEEE RTSS (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013)
- IEEE MASS (2016, 2015, 2014, 2012)
- IEEE ICDCS (2015, 2014, 2010)
- IEEE DCOSS (2015, 2014, 2013)
- EWSN (2015, 2014)
A complete list of my professional service is available here